Because of nutrients and health promoting effects is recommended more often consume barley as whole grains, soup or as a beverage.
Our today’s proposal is a summer salad of barley and vegetables.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 1 zucchini, cut into pieces of approximately 1.5 cm
- 300 g of barley which quickly cooks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, cut into cubes the size of 1.5 cm
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 0.5 dl lemon juice
- 250 g tomatoes, cut into slices
- small piece of goat cheese
In a large pot pour 3 cups of water and let it boil. Add barley and a quarter teaspoon of salt and cook for about 10 minutes until barley is tender. Drain well. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat heat the 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add the peppers, zucchini, garlic and remaining salt.
Saute, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, until pepper is tender. In a large bowl, combine mint, lemon juice and remaining teaspoon of oil.
Add the barley, stewed vegetables, tomatoes, cucumber and black pepper and mix well.
Finally, add the goat cheese and all together thoroughly.
Serve chilled to room temperature or slightly chilled.
Serve for 4 people.
Energy value per person: 298 kcal (1251 kJ)
- 14 g of fat (of which the unsaturated 3 g)
- 20 mg of cholesterol
- 33 g of carbohydrates
- 10 g of protein
- 350 mg of salt