They say good things come in small packages, and this can not be more true when it comes to blueberries. These small berries can boost your brain, soften skin, and even prevent cancer. Need another reason to add them into your diet?
- A healthy immune system. Blueberries have more antioxidants than any other fresh fruit or vegetable tested to date. Antioxidants strengthen the immune system by neutralizing free radicals. Most of its power comes from the pigment responsible for the color blue.
- It stimulates the brain. Eat blueberries and brain will work faster and better. One study suggests that blueberries slow down memory loss.
- The skin will shine if you make a mask of a mixture of two teaspoons of mashed blueberries, 2 small cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Blueberry will soften the skin, lemon is brighter and sugar cleaned of dead cells.
- Excellent vision. By eating two servings of blueberries a day will reduce the risk of macular degeneration that comes with age and that is the most common cause of vision loss in the elderly.
- A healthy heart. If every week eat five or more servings of blueberry, women will reduce the risk of heart attack. They contain high levels of compounds that help the health of the arteries.
- Lowers blood sugar levels. Blueberries have a low glycemic index, and have a beneficial effect on the regulation of blood sugar in people with diabetes. Eating five servings daily for two months will show a significant improvement in the regulation of blood sugar.
- Prevention of cancer. Blueberry anthocyanins that give the characteristic color which attack cancer causing free radicals and combat the growth of tumor cells. You need to eat only half a cup of blueberries a day.
- Health bladder. Blueberries like cranberries contain compounds that keep the bladder wall from the accumulation of bacteria and help with urinary tract infections.
- Melt belly fat. Polyphenols contained in blueberries break down fat in the abdomen and reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Help with constipation. A cup of raw blueberries contains about four grams of fiber. Soluble fiber which has in blueberries can absorb 11 to 16 times its own weight in water and thus speed up bowel movements.
- Bone health. Blueberries have high amounts of manganese, which plays a major role in the development of bones.
Photo by Mr.TinDC / CC BY